Maintaining your air conditioner is an important part of taking care of your home in Jacksonville. Without proper maintenance, your AC unit can lose efficiency and break down more quickly. AC maintenance in Jacksonville, FL, is especially important due to the hot and humid climate. The following 11 tips will help you keep your air conditioner working at its best all summer long.
1. Change the Air Filter Regularly: The most important thing you can do to maintain your AC system is to change the filter regularly. Filters should be changed at least once a month during high-use months, such as summer and winter, or when dust or debris accumulates on the filter. A clogged filter will make it harder for air to pass through, reducing the efficiency of the system and possibly damaging other components.
2. Clean the Coils: The evaporator and condenser coils on your AC unit should be cleaned regularly to keep them working efficiently. A dirty coil can reduce airflow, reduce efficiency, and cause unnecessary wear on other components. To clean the coils, use a soft brush or cloth to remove dirt and debris, then rinse with water from a garden hose.
3. Check for Leaks: Inspect your AC unit for any signs of leaks in the ductwork, seals, hoses, or other areas where air may be escaping. If you find any cracks or holes in the ductwork, have them repaired as soon as possible to reduce energy costs and maintain efficiency. Additionally, check all hoses and seals for any signs of wear or damage.
4. Clear Obstructions: Make sure there is nothing blocking the airflow to the unit, such as shrubs, grass, leaves, or other debris. If necessary, trim back anything that may be obstructing the airflow and clear away any debris from around the unit.
5. Check Refrigerant Levels: Low refrigerant levels can reduce the efficiency of your AC system and cause unnecessary wear on other components. To check levels and refill if necessary, contact a professional HVAC technician or schedule AC repair in Jacksonville, FL for assistance.
Following these tips will help keep your air conditioner running at its peak performance all summer long in Jacksonville, FL! For more information about AC maintenance, contact a local HVAC specialist today.
6. Check Condensate Drains: The condensate drain is an important part of your AC system, as it drains away any moisture that has accumulated due to the cooling process. If this drain becomes clogged, water can back up and damage the unit. To prevent this, ensure that the condensate line is clear of obstructions and debris and check for any signs of blockages periodically.
7. Keep the Area Around Your Unit Clear: Make sure to keep the area around your unit free from obstruction and debris so that air can flow freely. This includes keeping shrubs and grass trimmed away from the unit as well as clearing away any debris from around the unit.
8. Check Electrical Connections: Periodically inspect electrical connections for signs of corrosion or damage. If you find any, contact a professional HVAC technician for assistance with inspection and repair, as this can be a complicated process.
9. Inspect Belts and Motors: Look for signs of wear or damage on the belts and motors of your AC system, such as fraying or cracking. If necessary, have them replaced to ensure that they are working properly and won’t cause unnecessary wear on other components.
10. Clean Vents and Registers: Take time every few months to clean vents and registers throughout your home to ensure that air is flowing freely without obstruction. Use a soft brush or cloth to remove dust and debris, then vacuum out any remaining dirt.
11. Schedule Professional Maintenance: Finally, it’s always a good idea to schedule professional maintenance for your AC system every year. This will help ensure that all components are working properly, identify potential problems early on, and save you money in the long run by preventing costly repairs or replacements.
By following these tips and scheduling regular maintenance with a qualified HVAC technician, you can keep your air conditioner running smoothly all summer long in Jacksonville! If you need assistance with any of these tasks or have questions about AC repair in Jacksonville, FL, contact a local specialist today. Give Weather Engineers a call at (904) 356-3963 to schedule an appointment.