How To Prevent The Occurrence of Mold Damage

For homeowners with exposure to water, the likelihood of mold or mildew growth increases after 24 hours. Even without exposure to water, the suggestion is that each home is already predisposed to mold and mildew; different variables can attest to why the spores become active and spread, making them more apparent, like exposure to dampness and moisture.

The fungus is a contributor to potential health consequences that can become severe depending on the type of mold in the home and based on an individual being predisposed to respiratory issues already. Black mold can be particularly toxic, with immediate remediation recommended. 

Unless it's caught in the early stages, it's wise to contact a well-qualified, experienced Long Island mold removal company who will have the knowledge and skill to adequately eliminate the spores with no repercussions. Let's look at a few preventive measures to keep mold from becoming active in your household.

Get rid of clutter

For homes that are loaded full of clutter, it's wise to take a tour of the household and see where you might be able to pare down. A large amount of clutter can block air circulation within the HVAC unit. 

Often drapes and furnishings will block "supply grills," resulting in condensation. That creates a moist climate ideal for a mold habitat.

Nothing should cover vents or block the grills. Rugs, drapes, furnishings, and all clutter should be repositioned to avoid these areas. In fact, if you have pieces that you don't use, need, or want, it's wise to donate, gift, recycle or toss these to cut down on some of the clutter, so there's more space to situate everything.

Keep the indoor climate under control

Generally, when you're tempted to manipulate the air conditioning during the humid, sweltering heat of the summer, this is when mold problems will make themselves known. 

The problem homeowners face is having to set the temperature at just the right degree. If it's too high, the air won't be dehumidified adequately. The surfaces will become too cold if it's too low, creating condensation. 

The recommendation for optimum efficiency and to avoid moisture issues is to keep the temp at 78 degrees.

rGHt2jD iHDSwCl9DMgB6MLEYBA9HQNWbGVY9nsm9CxCsETEVSV8JQ2IGW8fROhLFxms7utqx2 iJ3M2WBD4Ff5QqbZCnfoMb4hUr4V0O82CSshev7kf7xco 05JynTjLP60 OuE7yADG fr8g

Don't open the doors/windows

The cool air escapes when you continue to open doors or let windows open with the air conditioning on. That not only wastes energy but brings the humid air inside the household creating condensation, a happy environment for mold. 

It's wise to keep the doors and windows closed, but it's also beneficial to keep the window coverings closed during the hot part of the day when the sun's rays are blazing in the windows. 

You want to maintain an even temperature in the home even when you're away from home to avoid the temperature from rising, creating humidity, again, mold's perfect atmosphere. Learn how to prevent a mold outbreak in your household after you've experienced a disaster at https://www.consumerreports.org/mold/how-to-prevent-a-mold-outbreak-a1028957817/.

Size the system

Often, homeowners purchase the wrong size A/C system for their homes. That can result in the inefficiency of the unit. Equipment that is too small runs continuously, increasing utility costs for the homeowner but also elevating the temperature inside the household. 

If the system is too big, the equipment will stop and start repeatedly, again wasting considerable energy. It's vital to ensure the model you select is the appropriate size for the space you'll be cooling. This way, it will get to the proper temperature with no humidity allowed into the area, thus creating a mold-friendly environment.

Check for standing water

If your air conditioning is functioning adequately, it's essential to check for a problem with dampness or standing water. These will elevate the humidity in the air. There could be leaks or puddles around varied appliances or in the basement. 

The suggestion is to check around the sump pump and the water heater, look near the refrigerator and independent freezers, the door to the basement, any windows, check around crawl spaces for dampness and look for foundation leaks.

Crawl space floor covering

For crawl spaces that see a lot of groundwater seeping into the area, there can be much "moisture vapor" resulting in the home. The recommended preventive is to cover the flooring in the crawl space with a "landscapers' plastic" (6 mil polyethylene) vapor barrier. These keep the moisture trapped in the ground.

If you tend to maneuver around in the crawl space quite a bit, the suggestion is to use plastic of a heavier material that won't tear so easily. You can find plastic coverings up to 20 mils on the market.

Dehumidifier

A dehumidifier means to pull the moisture from the air. There are models on the market that attach to the heating system for whole house treatment with drainage connection, so there's no tank to empty. 

A whole-house unit is optimum if you live in a humid climate. Otherwise, a portable system should be sufficient to remove dampness or musty odors from the household. 

For those with an especially damp area within the home like the basement, it's beneficial to sit a portable unit in that area to prevent excess moisture and mold from developing in that specific space. Click for guidance on eliminating mold in your home.

1QfXGsJYi3mKEInTUFA05a71jeQfp7yoegW8sxPMC2dyzSt6oGVVDu QazRpuIhDs2jd9vA2NvSjTP

Final Thought

Most homes are prone to having mold and mildew. The spores become active and spread when the conditions become pleasant for the fungi. That can mean either the house has excessive moisture or dampness or there is a high level of humidity, any of which is conducive to its growth and subsequent rapid spreading. 

When a homeowner sees the beginning stages of the mold and mildew, it is possible to DIY the removal. The issue is ensuring to get the spores out entirely and safely. 

Depending on the mold type, like black mold, there can be severe health repercussions, especially if it's not all removed. 

The recommendation is to use the professional services of qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable specialists who will suit up appropriately, bring equipment and tools to ensure adequate removal and take the fungi out - without consequences for the homeowner. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.