When it comes to home maintenance, roof cleaning plays a huge role in keeping your home clean and safe. This could prevent any decay or damage that could eventually lead to frequent and costly repairs and replacements. Keeping your roof clean will help to longer its structural lifespan as well as keeping it functional for its maximum longevity.
Using high pressure cleaner and another cleaning method is necessary to avoid any problems such as damage, holes, and most commonly, unwanted leaks. Contacting a roof cleaning professionals is widely available – but the question is, what are things you should know before cleaning your roof?
In this article, let’s tackle the 5 most important points that you must know about roof cleaning process before contacting a professional.
Table of contents
- 5 Key Points you Must Know About Roof Cleaning
5 Key Points you Must Know About Roof Cleaning
1. You can always DIY roof cleaning
With the proper ways, methods, cleaning products and materials, and proper tools, you can do roof cleaning yourself. However, before deciding to clean your home’s roof yourself, here are some necessary points you should look at:
- Find a trusted company when purchasing cleaning products for your roof. You should seek for a company that can provide you safe cleaning formulas with preventative solutions and quality materials such as high-pressure cleaners as well.
- Cleaning your roof will require time and effort so if you want to get your roof cleaned, schedule at least half day to it.
- Always for cleaning solutions that contain the right amount of chemicals in order to avoid any damage to the landscape, roof tiles, and the environment as well.
- Learn the proper rinsing techniques and proper procedures when cleaning your roof.
2. Algae in your roof is more than just unattractive
If your roof has algae all over it, surely it does make the aesthetic of the whole house or property undesirable but typical homeowners overlooked this issue:
- Roof algae are considered a living thing which usually feds on your roof’s shingles and can cause damage, rapid deterioration, and leaks as well as reduce its maximum longevity if it’s not taken care of. Few effects of having roof algae include:
- Dropping your home’s energy efficiency that could also cause your electric bills to increase mainly because roof’s shingles block UV rays from the sun.
- The roof will be damaged and can eventually need replacements, which is very costly.
3. Roof algae is not only your enemy
In addition, roof algae are completely invisible at the earliest stage –so you should never let your guard down. Backing this fact, we strongly recommend you to have roof inspections for at least once every 3 years in order to detect any possible problems on your roof.
It is always a good idea to take preventive measures and thorough cleaning using materials and solutions as soon as possible.
4. Roof cleaning comes in different methods for each reason
Roof cleaning comes in two main ways and this includes:
Pressure Washing – This uses high-pressure cleaners with water that are usually sprayed on the roof and its shingles. Pressurized water can remove any stubborn dirt, grime, mold, stains, and of course, algae. This method could be very effective for roof surfaces such as metal or concrete. However, there could be a chance that the pressurized water could cause the shingles to get damaged.
Chemical Cleaning – or soft washing is a method of roof cleaning which involves the use of cleaning solutions and formulas with chemicals. This could be necessary for removing harmful residue or materials in your roof. One setback of using this method is that the chemicals could damage your roof which can also cause issues in your landscape.
5. Roof cleaning is cost-effective compared to roof repairs or replacements
Aforementioned, the roof repair and replacements will require tons of money, but as they say – prevention is always better than cure – which is why having your roof clean is definitely your best bet.
Roof cleaning services usually cost lesser compared to repairs, and most of the roofing contractors charge a fair price and typically cost for about 200 – 800 dollars and 476 dollars on average cost.
If you choose not to do roof cleaning on your own, you can always hire a professional to do the job for you that will worth your time, money, and effort considering the importance of roof cleaning for your overall home maintenance and its costs.
Keeping your roof clean is your step one not only on keeping your home safe and secured for your family but for maintaining its appearance and value as well which is why it is very important to choose the right professionals who know what they’re working with and should be also able to use the proper cleaning materials such as pressure cleaners and cleaning solutions, and of course – they must be able to find the effective and right ways to do the job without harming or damaging your properties.