Jacksonville, Florida is known for its beautiful beaches and friendly environment. But even in this paradise, plumbing issues can occur. From leaky pipes to clogged drains, it’s important to know how to handle these problems before they become serious. In this article, we discuss 10 plumbing traps that Jacksonville homeowners should be aware of and avoid if possible. By understanding these common pitfalls, you can save time and money by preventing more extensive damage from occurring down the line. So let’s get started!
1) Poor Drain Maintenance: One of the most common mistakes made by homeowners in Jacksonville is not properly maintaining their drains. Clogged drains are a frequent issue in the area due to debris buildup over time. Clogs can cause flooding and water damage if left unchecked. To prevent this from happening, it’s important to regularly clean your drains and perform maintenance on them when necessary. We recommend hiring a professional plumber in Jacksonville NC to ensure the job is done correctly.
2) Ignoring Leaky Faucets: Another common problem that homeowners in Jacksonville face are leaky faucets. While a slow drip may not seem like an urgent issue, it can quickly add up to hundreds of dollars in wasted water each year. If you notice any type of leaking coming from your faucet, be sure to get it fixed as soon as possible by a professional plumber.
3) Using the Wrong Pipes: While copper pipes are often considered the standard for plumbing systems, Jacksonville homeowners should be aware that they may not always be the best option. This is especially true if your home is located near the ocean, as corrosion can occur due to saltwater exposure. Instead, choose a plastic or PVC pipe for better durability and less risk of corrosion.
4) Not Insulating Pipes: Another common mistake made by homeowners in Jacksonville is not properly insulating their pipes. Without proper insulation, freezing temperatures can cause your pipes to burst and lead to costly repairs or replacements. To ensure this doesn’t happen, consider investing in pipe insulation to keep them safe during colder months.
5) Not Testing Water Pressure: It’s important to periodically test your home’s water pressure to ensure it’s not too high or low. Low water pressure can cause your faucets and shower heads to be weaker than usual, while high water pressure can damage pipes over time. We recommend having a professional plumber in Jacksonville come out and test the water pressure for you.
6) Neglecting Your Sump Pump: A neglected sump pump can quickly lead to flooding in your basement, so it’s important to maintain it regularly. Make sure to check that the sump pump is in good working condition at least twice a year, and consider investing in a battery backup system just in case of an unexpected power outage.
7) Outdoor Drainage Issues: Jacksonville is well known for its humid climate, and this can lead to drainage issues outside of your home. Make sure to keep an eye on the gutters and downspouts around your property, as debris buildup or improper installation can cause flooding in certain areas. By scheduling outdoor drain cleaning in Jacksonville, NC, you can prevent this from happening.
8) Overusing Chemical Cleaners: While chemical cleaners may seem like an easy way to unclog a drain, using too much can do more harm than good. These harsh chemicals can corrode pipes over time and make the clog even worse. Instead, opt for natural remedies such as boiling water or vinegar and baking soda when possible.
9) Poor Water Heater Maintenance: It’s important to maintain your water heater regularly to keep it running smoothly. We recommend flushing out your water heater at least once a year and making sure the temperature is set correctly. This can help extend its lifespan and ensure you have hot water when you need it.
10) Not Installing Backflow Preventers: Jacksonville homeowners should also consider investing in backflow preventers to protect against flooding caused by sewage backups. These devices are relatively inexpensive and can save you from having to deal with a costly disaster down the line.
By following these tips, homeowners in Jacksonville can avoid common plumbing traps and keep their homes safe and efficient for years to come. Remember, if you ever encounter any problems with your plumbing system, be sure to call a professional plumber. Get in touch with Wild Water Plumbing at 910-750-2312 to schedule an appointment.