When designing your custom kitchen, you may be stuck on how to choose which type of cabinetry would best suit the space.
There are many kitchen cabinets on the market today, but they can be generally categorized into three main types: wall cabinets, base cabinets, and niche cabinets.
Each type has its design and purpose, so it’s essential to know the pros and cons of each before finalizing the plan.
Here is a brief overview of the most common types of cabinetry you might come across in kitchen cabinet stores Phoenix.
1. Wall Cabinets
Wall cabinets are the most common type of cabinetry used in kitchen designs. They are found right above countertops and are installed directly on the wall.
It’s best to install these cabinets above a workstation, where your kitchen tools and appliances can be stored out of the way. If space is an issue, wall cabinets are a great option.
There are many different types of wall cabinets to choose from, such as:
- End Cabinets – End cabinets are the most commonly used wall cabinets. They are installed on the ends of the kitchen and provide ample storage for your pots and pans. This is an excellent option for kitchens that don’t have the space for large base cabinets.
- Open Wall Cabinets – Open wall cabinets are great for kitchens with minimal space. They are installed above the workstation with no doors or shelving. This allows you to showcase your decorative items while still having easy access to any tools or appliances you may need.
- Wall Niches – Wall niches are installed above your countertop and provide easy access to smaller items such as salt and pepper shakers, tea kettles, or even wine bottles. They are perfect for a more modern kitchen design.
2. Base Cabinets
Base cabinets are installed below the countertop and generally house your larger appliances such as your oven, microwave, or coffee maker. These cabinets are usually large and come in a shaker, country, or traditional styles. They can also come in a wide variety of wood finishes, such as oak or madrona.
- Shaker Cabinets – Shaker cabinets are the most common type of base cabinet. They come in a variety of sizes, finishes, and shapes. These cabinets are generally smaller than country cabinets and make great storage for spices, baking supplies, or even kitchen utensils.
- Country Cabinets – Country cabinets are a bit larger than shaker cabinets, making them great for storing larger appliances. They come in various materials such as wood, metal, or even stone. These cabinets are perfect for a rustic or industrial design.
- Traditional Cabinets – These are the largest of the three styles, making them ideal for storing larger appliances. These cabinets are generally made from wood, but can also be found in metal or stone. They are the most luxurious of all the styles.
3. Niche Cabinets
Niche cabinets are installed below the countertop and provide easy access to small items such as spices or tea bags. These cabinets are typically much smaller than base cabinets, making them perfect for kitchens that don’t have the space for larger cabinets.
Niche cabinets are usually installed next to the stove or sink and can be made from various materials.
The kitchen is the heart of any home, as it is where families come together to share laughter and good food. It’s also where most homeowners spend a good chunk of their time day in and day out. That’s why it makes sense to invest in designing your kitchen space with high-quality, functional, and long-lasting cabinets.
If you are doing a lot of window shopping across kitchen cabinet stores in Phoenix, make sure you consider all the different types available. This will ensure you find the best cabinets for your space and needs.